Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sharing: The Moral Imperative

I like this presentation on the aspect of sharing.

Sharing to me is one of the most useful "strategies" or resources that a teacher could use. I feel that as Educators we need to allow other's to use our own ideas, and knowledge. If we can share information through technology with teacher's close and far, we better ourselves as people, teachers, and the children are learning alot more. If teacher's share resources, then I think its fair to say that students will share ideas and information as well. Sharing makes daily activities, tasks, and duties much easier to accomplish if you are able to generate your own thoughts and opinons but use someone else's ideas to create another viewpoint. I am not talking about copying other peoples work simply because you are to lazy to do it, but making an actual effort to provide information and using other's ideas to create your own thoughts and opinions.

That was a pretty interesting post by George in this video about sharing, where he talked about their "identity" assembly and how that little girl did her whole display board on Turettes and how George ended up blogging about it because he was really touched and had an emotional reaction to it. The neat thing about that was that a school in texas was insipired by it as well, because George decided to share this information through a BLOG.
This is very touching and interesting, you really never know who is looking at what you are posting online, but their is definitely alot of advantages that can come from it. You may be helping another teacher or classroom out by posting strategies or assignments/classroom activities on your blog.

1 comment:

  1. I think we can all agree and knew before how important sharing is in this field. Just look at all the group projects we do in this faculty. But this video did a great job of reinforcing this idea to make sure we carry sharing with us and push beyond the boundaries of our schools and communities and reach out into the larger world. As Darren Kuropatwa said in his presentation yesterday: "knowledge isn’t in our heads... it’s between us."
    I liked what you said with, "I am not talking about copying other peoples work simply because you are to lazy to do it, but making an actual effort to provide information and using other's ideas to create your own thoughts and opinions." I tend to think of this as piggy-backing. We don't just take ideas, we take them, mess with them, and give them back improved, changed and expanded.

    ReplyDelete