Tuesday, January 18, 2011

JOHNS Presentation

I like the idea John had about students using facebook to study. It's pretty ironic how Pembina valleyschool divison has a facebook feed, but the division blocks facebook. Just shows you that it probably should be used. However, if facebook is being used or any social media for that matter, there needs to be some guidelines, and people need to be taught and informed about how to use it properly and have a good internet ettitiquette.

Social Media to me is using applications online to create a community amongst friends, peers, and co-workers, even people you have never met. Social media can connect people all across the world that have similar interests and view points, also it can be a place for people to voice their opinions on whether they agree or disagree with a topic. Facebook and twitter are two major social media applications. Personally I use both of them. I recently just started blogging for my Internet for educators class. Blogging is a form of social media. I personally like it because it allows me to reflect my learning and opinions.

Depending on the school division I work at, i would definitely use blogging as a form of formative assessment. This way students can all follow each other and all learn from each other's view points and learnings.

I think it would be so interesting for social media to be used in the class. All the years I have been involved in Education, being a student, and now a Pre-service teacher, I think social media would be so ENGAGING for the students and myself as an educator. I think it allows for more effeciency and effectiveness. Therefore students will learn alot more.

As teachers we have to realize that the world is based on these networks, so we need to start teaching students how to properly use it, and for them to be able to get the most out of it.

2 comments:

  1. You make some great points, Nathan. Teaching and modeling appropriate use of social - and other media - is important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no payoff in denying that social media is a dominant factor in the lives of students today. Therefore we should embrace it and move on from there all the while exploiting it for all the benefits it offers. I'm sure that freeing up facebook for use in school would create a situation where work would quickly shift towards chatting and general "facebooking" but at the same time I think there could be a contract type of situation set up where a mutual understanding takes place. Of course this would also mean that facebook would have have to be on the accessible side of the firewall first. A subject unto itself.

    ReplyDelete